Laos is a friendly neighbor of Vietnam. Laos’ economy is gradually changing significantly, leading to the issue of protection of intellectual property rights in Laos is also paid much attention by individuals and enterprises operating in there.
Laos has applied the first application rule. Accordingly, if there are many applications for registration of trademarks that are identical or similar, the rights to the trademark shall be granted to the person who has applied for the first registration at the Laos’ Ministry of Trade. Therefore, Investor in Laos should carry out trademark registration as soon as possible to protect your rights.
Procedures of Trademark registration
Enterprises need to prepare documents for trademark registration in Laos, including:
- Notarized authorization letter;
- 02 Trademark template documents
- Documents claiming priority right under the Paris convention (as if);
- In case the trademark has been registered for protection in Vietnam, you need to provide 01 additional copy of this Protection Title.
Note: Individuals or Enterprise may apply for trademark registration in Laos if they have a legal representative in Laos. If not, these applications must be filed through a trademark representative in Laos.
Time for examination of trademark registration applications:
- Formal examination: 1 month from the date of application;
- Content evaluation: 06 months from the date of publication;
- Time for degree granting will be: 02 months.
The trademark will take effect from the date of application.
Note: Each trademark application is only used for a group of products and services.
Validity of a Trademark Registration Certificate:
- The term of protection of trademarks in Laos is 10 years from the date of filing the application (or from the priority date, if any. The Trademark Certificate can be renewed many times, each for 10 years and the owner must pay a renewal fee. Applications for extension of validity of trademark protection may be filed late within 6 months from the expiry date and owners must pay a late filing fee.
- After 5 years from the date of filing a trademark application, the trademark owner must submit an “Affidavit of Use / Non-Use of Trademark”. If the trademark owner does not submit the Affidavit, the trademark will be suspended if requested by a third party.
Why you should use the service at LNP LAW?
– Enthusiastic advice
– Short implement time
Our team of lawyers and experts are pleased to assist you with the legal procedures
For further, please visit our website: lnplegal.com
#lawyer #trademark #law #advantage #registration #investing
Don’t hesitate to contact for consulting & supporting services:
𝕃ℕℙ 𝕃𝕖𝕘𝕒𝕝 ℂ𝕠𝕟𝕤𝕦𝕝𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘
‣ Address: No. 225A Nguyen Ngoc Vu, Trung Hoa, Cau Giay, Ha Noi.
‣ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
‣ Tel: 024 6329 2936